About the Class:
Prep is an ongoing, skill-building class offered in 4-week sessions (blocks). It is for a small number of serious actors in an intimate studio setting. It is both process and performance-focused; meaning, it is not merely “rehearse + perform,” but working together each week on your sonnet or monologue. Acting Scene Prep is vital for actors who are serious about their craft, want to affect their audiences, and gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of what’s required to prepare for roles to give the very best performance. Because this is an advanced class that teaches students how to prepare for various roles and connect their emotional (technique) work with their script analysis/prep work, there is a substantial amount of out-of-classroom work. Students coming into the class should understand how to do Strasberg Relaxation 1 & 2 and the Sense Memory exercise using a glass of water. During the 4-weeks, students will select, memorize, prepare and rehearse outside of the classroom, stand it up in class, receive instructor notes/feedback, rehearse the scene outside of class (with the adjustments implemented), and present the scene again at the next class meeting. We recommend students work in the Prep sessions until they are able to successfully practice self-adjustment (rather than having to rely on a teacher, coach, or director). The work in this class will challenge you to explore various tools and skills crucial to finding your true self as an actor. You will deepen your work, strengthen your technique and preparation skills, learn how to invite and trust inspiration, and take risks. Students will also learn:
- How to incorporate technique (Strasberg + Meisner) into your work
- How to use sense memory, guided fantasies, and inner dialogues
- How to create more personal and meaningful performances
- How to make bold choices and work from a freely imaginative place
- How to develop reliable tools for problem-solving on your own
- The best way to serve the script, the director, and the editor (so that it’s impossible for them to cut away from you)
- Access to email and the internet
- Successful registration before the start date
- Pre-selected monologue or sonnet (see more on this below)
Students entering this session for the first time will select one of Shakespeare’s sonnets and have it memorized (wrote, without tone or inflection). Returning students have the option of choosing a monologue from a play, screenplay, or monologue book.
Acting Scene Prep is Perfect for:
- Adults and Mature Teens who have completed Acting Essentials Session and at least one Acting Fundamentals Session
- Those who have previously trained at a reputable, Meisner and/or Strasberg studio and have demonstrable experience
- Students who have at minimum an intermediate mastery of the emotional work practiced in Acting Fundamentals
- Performance minded students who are working towards complete mastery of technique, process, and performance
- Four 2-hour classes
- Weekly Progress Report
- Video Copy of In-Class Performances (if applicable)
Creative Veins is an award-winning, A+ rated performing arts studio that trains students of all ages and experience levels in acting, improv, stand-up, and screenwriting. All our classes are taught by professional, agency-represented performing artists who live in Jacksonville and work regionally (Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Nashville, and Knoxville) on paid bookings in film, theater, commercials, television, and live show productions. Additionally, many of our instructors are multi-disciplined, meaning that besides being highly trained and skilled in their craft, they have also trained in acting, music, singing, dance, and more! Our sessions are offered in 4-week blocks and meet once a week for two hours. From the newbie to the hobbyist to the serious, aspiring professional, we see a wide range of students; all with very different goals. We’re eager to help each student accomplish these goals, whatever they may be!
Why Creative Veins?
The key at our studio is helping students find the process which provides confidence, depth, and ultimately success in all their creative endeavors. We strive to provide value and help each student build skills and accomplish their goals, no matter how big, or small they may be. One of the most significant benefits is that we do not view training here as limited to the once-a-week class. We offer MANY opportunities for students to continuously grow and work on their craft outside of classes, including:
- weekly studio meetups
- professional development lectures
- student resource pages
- 24/7 access to instructors
- industry guest speakers
- actor showcases
- on-set volunteer opportunities
- public and student talent shows
- on-going studio projects
- invite-only studio casting page
- monthly progress reports
- professional taping services
- audition help + prep
- private lessons
- technique workouts
- headshot and resume guidance
- agency application submission review
- monthly workshops with professional actors, coaches, agents, and casting directors (many from the Atlanta market), and studio productions including short films, live shows, and other media projects
Our acting coaches are all working, professional actors and directors who bring to bear their own expertise, enabling a rounded approach of effective techniques that work for you as an individual. We’re also well respected among the performing arts community and can leverage our reputation to help our students succeed in the Southeast Region, including North Florida, Orlando, Atlanta, and more!
Students may have their phones in class as long as they’re tucked under their seats. We understand their importance for communication and emergencies, but cell phone use to play games, watch videos, or check social media defeats the purpose of class altogether. By not giving your full attention in class, you will fail to develop the skills needed to excel in the session.
Class Size/Covid-19 Info:
Please note that our classes are always kept smaller in size for more individualized attention and to ensure each student’s success in the program. For now, because of Covid-19 and our need for distancing, our studio classes have a maximum number of 12 students. Because of this, we book up very quickly. Please understand that we cannot add any additional students once a class is full and marked as SOLD OUT. You can, however, request to be added to the wait-list via email at Admin@CreativeVeins.com, or feel free to register for the next session to guarantee your spot. Additionally, we still require masks when entering the building, inside the common areas, and anytime social distancing isn’t possible. We appreciate your understanding of these protocols to ensure our students, instructors, and staff’s well-being.
We strongly encourage perfect attendance. If a class must be missed, we’ll do our best to get the student caught up in time for the next class, so they’re not behind. Missed classes can be made up in any future session. Make-up dates never expire.
- If the session hasn’t started yet and you notify us of your inability to attend, we are happy to move you into a new session or reimburse you for the session
- If the session has already started and you notify us of your inability to complete it, we are happy to move you into a new session or reimburse you for the unattended classes
- If the session has already ended and you did not attend any of the classes or notify us before the session concluded, we are happy to move you into a new session (refunds are not provided to “no call/no shows”)
We are conveniently located in the heart of downtown Jacksonville just two blocks up from The Florida Theater (approx. a 20-minute drive from most parts of our city)! Our studio is 4,000 square feet with a lobby and movie room for rides, parents, and guests to hang out during class! We offer plenty of free parking right in front inside our private lots. Additionally, there’s also free parking at the street meters on weekends and after 6 p.m. on weekdays.
Check out our F.A.Q. page or contact us at Admin@CreativeVeins.com or by phone/text at 904-323-2471!