Our Acting for Kids sessions, workshops, and camps provide fun and formal training for children ages 7-13 where no experience is needed to start! Not only are these sessions informative and fun, but they’re also challenging, confidence-boosting, and focus on building skill in the discipline of acting. Our 4-week sessions are offered year round in a 1-month block of classes wherein we meet 2 hours a week x 4 weeks (a total of 4 class meetings). Our workshops are offered frequently and range from 1 full day to week-long camps (usually during summer and winter breaks).
Creative Veins is an award-winning, A+ rated performing arts studio that trains students of all ages and experience levels in acting, improv, stand-up, and screenwriting. All our classes are taught by professional, agency-represented performing artists who live in Jacksonville and work regionally (Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Nashville, and Knoxville) on paid bookings in film, theater, commercials, television, and live show productions. Additionally, many of our instructors are multi-disciplined, meaning that besides being highly trained and skilled in their craft, they have also trained in music, singing, dance, improv, stand-up, and more! Our kids acting sessions are offered in 4-week blocks and meet once a week for two hours. From the newbie to the hobbyist to the serious, aspiring professional, we see a wide range of students, all with very different goals. We’re eager to help each student accomplish these goals, whatever they may be!
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Does my child need prior experience to join? Absolutely not. In fact, most students who start have no prior or formal acting training!
2. Is this just a one-time class? No. However, it depends on your child’s goals with acting. If an acting class is just something they’ve wanted to try, and they decide to move on after the session ends, no problem! We understand that kids can have many different interests, and we absolutely encourage them to explore those to see what they love the most! If acting is more than just a fun extracurricular for them and they are serious about building skill, auditioning, paid bookings, and eventually obtaining an agent, we highly recommend them taking more than just one class. Our classes will always practice similar acting warm-ups, and we will continue to grow in the craft by introducing new exercises so we can build upon what was previously learned. We will continuously introduce concepts based on the student’s readiness. Additionally, a new mock audition assignment will be assigned in each session. In short, Acting for Kids classes are ongoing and should be treated like music or dance lessons; usually, the more practice, the more skillful in the long run. Suppose your child decides they’d like to work towards auditioning, paid bookings, and (eventually) agency representation in the Southeast region. In that case, we typically find that 3-4 sessions are necessary to build enough skill to start auditioning and 4-6 sessions to submit to a reputable talent agent. However, the student’s instructors can give more feedback on this (and their readiness) once we access their abilities.
3. My child is a “mature 6”, can they still join? Of course! We’re not overly strict on age, but we do ask that they can read/write on their own. We also ask that you be realistic with their abilities before registering, especially when working with others and listening. Our class time is relatively short, and we’d like our entire focus to be on acting. We are happy for anyone to join us as long as they can be a part of a team and complete the assigned classwork. If you have a specific concern, please reach out directly at Admin@CreativeVeins.com! We are genuinely happy to help answer any questions and address any concerns!
4. Can I stay with my child? You’re welcome to stay! We have a lobby and a movie/game room right next to our classrooms for parents, guests, and rides to hang out while class is in session. Non-students can not be inside the classroom, BUT you will be able to see and hear us from either area! We have comfortable seating, free Wi-Fi, television (with Netflix, Disney, and Hulu), complimentary refreshments (coffee, tea, hot cocoa, water, and snacks), books, magazines, puzzles, and games! Plus, you can visit with them during our breaks!
5. Can I leave and come back for pick-up when class is over? You’re welcome to leave and return at the end of class. Most parents use that two hours to run an errand, grab breakfast with a friend, or go shopping. We truly understand parents needing some “me time”! The only downside to pick-up is that you’re probably going to have to hear your child tell you that they’d rather stay because they’ve had so much fun!
6. Is there anything we need to bring or do ahead of time? Nope! We’ve got it covered! The only recommendation we have is that students wear comfortable shoes. We’ll provide everything needed for class time and our break.
7. What if my child misses a class? That’s no problem! Whatever the reason is fine; a missed class can be made up at any time! Makeup dates never expire. Just let us know the day you’ll be out, and we’ll help arrange the makeup date!
8. What is included in the cost? All classroom time, video copies of all filmed assignments (including the mock audition), and a graduation certificate.
9. What is the average age and class size? The average age is between 8-11. The average class size is ten students, however, expect that number to be larger for a summer or winter camp.
10. What if my child doesn’t love acting? If for whatever reason, it turns out that acting classes aren’t your child’s cup o’ tea, we will not encourage them to “stick with it.” We advise against forcing a student to participate if there is no genuine interest and encourage them to seek out something that truly excites them. Not only is it unfair to 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 student, but it’s unfair to the instructors and the rest of the class who 𝘥𝘰 want to be here. Additionally, if a student is continuously disruptive, we reserve the right to withdraw that student from the class. This is an extreme rarity, but it is necessary for our classes to work cohesively. We will help make arrangements to reimburse you for the remainder of the classes immediately if one of the above occurs.
How Can Acting Classes Benefit My Child?
In our kids acting class, students can explore intellectual, social, physical, emotional, and moral domains through learning that involves thought, feeling, and action. Acting fosters self-discipline, confidence, and teamwork and develops skills in interpreting, researching, negotiating, problem-solving, and decision making. In short, kids acting classes don’t just provide students with the skills needed for the job of an actor, but real-life skills as well. How do I know? Because I’m a professional actor and teacher and I’ve learned MORE about how to solve problems, effectively communicate, foster meaningful relationships, make tough decisions, think for myself, run a business, and navigate in this world from my acting training than any other 𝘰𝘯𝘦 endeavor. But taking just one acting class will not magically make your child have loads of confidence, friends, and whatever else you wish for them. It’s not something that happens overnight, and it all really depends on the child. 𝘏𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳, acting classes can 𝘢𝘣𝘴𝘰𝘭𝘶𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘺 help get that ball rolling if they struggle with confidence, making friends, making decisions, working independently, listening, focusing, paying attention, solving problems, OR they’re prone to laziness, shyness, become easily bored, and need to be constantly stimulated by a screen. Unshakeable confidence, solid communication skills, exceptional problem-solving, and having high emotional intelligence are just a few of the byproducts of acting classes!
Acting for Kids is Perfect for:
- Kids ages 7 – 13 that can read and write on their own
- Children genuinely interested in acting and building skill in this craft
- Students who want to have fun, be challenged, make friends and build confidence
- Professionally minded students working towards auditioning and obtaining an agent
What Will the Class Cover?
Besides being a ton of fun, our kids classes provide a strong focus on understanding the actors’ tools (our voice, our imagination, our brain, and body movement), script analysis, and on-camera auditioning. Our exercises concentrate on strengthening communication skills, problem-solving, and gaining emotional intelligence. Acting can be a lot of fun, but it 𝘪𝘴 an artistic discipline, similar to music, singing, or dance, requiring deliberate practice and effort. At the end of the session, each student will participate in a taped mock audition performance wherein parents will receive a copy. Students who complete the session will receive a graduation certificate. Additionally, we will cover working as a cohesive ensemble, developing characters & bringing a story to life, reading, analyzing, and memorizing a script, rehearsing, auditioning, and proper auditioning etiquette.
Building Confidence & Social Skills:
Some children we see in class have little human interaction and spend more time with their phones and tablets than other humans. As a result, social skills that were traditionally learned from frequent contact and socializing with others (parents, teachers, friends, neighbors, classmates, and mentors) are, in some cases, underdeveloped. We value our students and genuinely want them to be successful wherever life takes them. Because we feel these skills are so vital for acting (and life in general), our sessions also include making sure students know how to introduce themselves properly, listen completely (without interrupting), articulate their ideas clearly, and express feelings in socially acceptable ways. Additionally, many of our exercises focus on problem-solving and taking personal responsibility. In our experience, this is the very best way to build confidence – by having students earn their confidence by solving problems and not giving up – even when the challenge is a little complicated or unfamiliar.
Why Creative Veins?
The key at our studio is helping students find the process which provides confidence, depth, and ultimately success in all their creative endeavors. We strive to provide value and help each student build skills and accomplish their goals, no matter how big or small they may be. One of the most significant benefits is that we do not view training here as limited to the once-a-week class. We offer MANY opportunities for students to continuously grow and work on their craft outside of classes, including:
- weekly studio meetups
- professional development lectures
- student resource pages
- 24/7 access to instructors
- industry guest speakers
- actor and improviser showcases
- on-set volunteer opportunities
- public and student talent shows
- on-going studio projects
- invite-only studio casting page
- monthly progress reports
- professional taping services
- audition help + prep
- art school submission coaching (Douglas Anderson & LaVilla)
- private lessons
- technique workouts
- headshot and resume guidance
- agency application submission review
- monthly workshops with professional actors, coaches, agents, and casting directors (many from the Atlanta market), and studio productions including short films, live shows, and other media
We’re also well respected among the performing arts community and can leverage our reputation to help our students succeed in the Southeast Region, including North Florida, Orlando, Atlanta, and more!
One of the Most Common Acting Scams for Kids:
The most common scam we see is the casting director/audition/agent scam. You might’ve seen these ads on social media or heard commercials for them on the radio. They sound something like this:
“Nickelodeon/Disney/Netflix casting directors/agents want to meet you! This Saturday at the Hyatt Regency/Ramada Inn Hotel and Conference Center/The Avenues Mall, come audition for a chance to be selected to work on major Nickelodeon/Disney/Netflix shows like Tooned In, Big Shot, and Stranger Things”!
I’m sorry to say this, but no REPUTABLE casting director or agent is traveling to a mall or hotel in a strange city to meet children with no acting experience or training. That’s not how it works.
So, what happens when you go to one of these “auditions”? First, they’ll have your child perform a short scene or monologue in front of strangers claiming to be “in the business”. Then, they’ll tell you and your child that they did wonderfully, and they’d like them to “move to the next round”. Lastly, they’ll show you a glossy brochure and ask you to pay for a package that includes headshots and “everything you need” to get started. These packages usually start at $1200.00 and can go up to over $10,000.00 depending on what’s included. Most of these are purely a scam, and they prey on people that don’t know how this industry works by promising fame, living in Hollywood and all of your acting dreams coming true. Here’s the real deal: acting works similarly to ANY OTHER JOB. You learn a skill (classes with a legitimate school or studio), you audition for a role (the job), and you are paid for that role (the job/the work you do). The ONLY thing an actor will ever pay for is learning how to do the job, headshots (eventually), and maybe gas to get to set. You don’t pay people to be considered for a job. You don’t pay to meet casting directors, agents or anyone else who is hiring for something. That’d be like me paying McDonalds to interview for a cashier position. Don’t fall for these scams! And if you come across something and you’re just not sure, please ask us! We are here to help and be a resource to parents and students – always!
Students may have their phones in class as long as they’re tucked under their seats. We understand their importance for communication and emergencies, but cell phone use to play games, watch videos, or check social media defeats the purpose of class altogether. By not giving their full attention in class, students will fail to develop the skills needed to excel in the session.
Please note that our classes are always kept smaller in size for more individualized attention and to ensure each student’s success in the program. Because of this, we book up very quickly. Please understand that we cannot add any additional students once a class is full and marked as SOLD OUT. You can, however, request to be added to the wait-list via email at Admin@CreativeVeins.com, or feel free to register for the next session to guarantee your spot.
Class Transfers + Refunds:
- If the session or workshop hasn’t started yet and you notify us of your inability to attend, we are happy to move you into a new session or workshop or reimburse you for the full amount paid
- If the session or workshop has already started and you notify us of your inability to complete it before it ends, we are happy to move you into a new session or reimburse you for the unattended classes/hours
- If the session or workshop has already ended and you did not notify us of your inability to attend all of the classes/hours, we are happy to move you into a new session (refunds are not provided to “no call/no shows/walk-outs”)
Location + Parking:
We are conveniently located in the heart of Jacksonville’s San Marco area; just two blocks west of I-95 on Atlantic Blvd. Our studio is over 5,000 square feet with a lobby and movie room for rides, parents, and guests to hang out during class PLUS complimentary snacks and beverages for all! We offer plenty of free parking inside our private lots, too!
Check out our F.A.Q. page or contact us at Admin@CreativeVeins.com or by phone/text at 904-323-2471!