Our Intro to Improv session provides a thorough introduction to improvisational theater, and not only is it super informative, but it’s also a ton of fun! Here, we’ll cover the basics of narrative storytelling, unrehearsed acting, working as an ensemble, and explore impulse, spontaneity, & thinking on our feet! Whether you’re a newbie, hobbyist, or a serious, aspiring professional, we’re eager to help you accomplish your goals, whatever they may be! Best of all, no experience is needed to start this class, and adults & mature teens are welcome!
Creative Veins is an award-winning, A+ rated performing arts studio that trains students of all ages and experience levels in acting, improv, stand-up, and screenwriting. All our classes are taught by professional, agency-represented performing artists who live in Jacksonville and work regionally (Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Nashville, and Knoxville) on paid bookings in film, theater, commercials, television, and live show productions. Additionally, many of our instructors are multi-disciplined, meaning that besides being highly trained and skilled in improv, they have also trained in acting, music, singing, dance, stand-up, and more! From the newbie to the hobbyist to the serious, aspiring professional, we see a wide range of students; all with very different goals. We’re eager to help each student accomplish these goals, whatever they may be!
Intro to Improv is Perfect for:
- go-getters + team-players
- adults & mature teens with no formal training
- students eager to learn the techniques for skillful storytelling, terrific performances, and working as a cohesive ensemble
- anyone who wants to have fun, build confidence, strengthen communication + public speaking skills, overcome stage fright, pursue a passion, explore spontaneity + thinking on your feet, gain a creative outlet, make friends, and be challenged
Intro to Improv is not Ideal for:
- work-avoiders + excuse-makers
- anyone lacking the self-discipline to participate and work hard
- those who believe there are shortcuts to being a skillful improviser (improv is a discipline and a performing art much like dance, music, or singing)
- Four 2-hour classes
- Instructor Feedback + Notes
- Graduation Certificate
- Video Copy of Performance (if student decides to participate in live show)
Why Creative Veins?
The key at our studio is helping students find the process which provides confidence, depth, and ultimately success in all their creative endeavors. We strive to provide value and help each student build skills and accomplish their goals, no matter how big, or small they may be. One of the most significant benefits is that we do not view training here as limited to the once-a-week class. We offer MANY opportunities for students to continuously grow and work on their craft outside of classes, including:
- weekly studio meetups
- professional development lectures
- student resource pages
- 24/7 access to instructors
- industry guest speakers
- actor and improviser showcases
- on-set volunteer opportunities
- public and student talent shows
- on-going studio projects
- invite-only studio casting page
- monthly progress reports
- professional taping services
- audition help + prep
- private lessons
- technique workouts
- headshot and resume guidance
- agency application submission review
- monthly workshops with professional actors, coaches, agents, and casting directors (many from the Atlanta market), and studio productions including short films, live shows, and other media projects
We’re also well respected among the performing arts community and can leverage our reputation to help our students succeed in the Southeast Region, including North Florida, Orlando, Atlanta, and more!
A Few Things Covered in this Class:
- A thorough understanding of what improvisational theater really is and what skills one must have to be skilled in this discipline (in short, a debunking of the many assumptions carried by the majority)
- The basics of unrehearsed acting, learning how to develop a point of view, pursue an emotional agenda, give and take focus, pinpoint an objective, and of course “yes and…”.
- A working understanding of narrative storytelling and how to confidently tell a story in a three-act structure as an ensemble
- How to exercise the analytical side of the brain to focus on simple goals; freeing the creative side and silencing the negative thoughts that can make us freeze during a performance (or in life, for that matter).
- Incorporating unrehearsed acting and cooperative direction into improv games, exercises, and scenes
- How to effectively and instinctually communicate what you want (say what you mean and mean what you say) and articulate how you feel in any given moment (i.e., scene or performance)
- How to get out of your head, think on your feet, articulate your ideas clearly, and make bold choices
- How to ease nerves and “stage fright” jitters with relaxation techniques so you can refine your public speaking skills
- Access to email and the internet
- Successful registration by the start date (We provide everything needed for class)
Suggestions for Class:
- Comfortable shoes + clothing
- Water bottle
Students may have their phones in class as long as they’re tucked under their seats. We understand their importance for communication and emergencies, but cell phone use to play games, watch videos, or check social media defeats the purpose of class altogether. By not giving your full attention in class, you will fail to develop the skills needed to excel in the session.
Class Size/Covid-19 Info:
Please note that our classes are always kept smaller in size for more individualized attention and to ensure each student’s success in the program. For now, because of Covid-19 and our need for distancing, our studio classes have a maximum number of 12 students. Because of this, we book up very quickly. Please understand that we cannot add any additional students once a class is full and marked as SOLD OUT. You can, however, request to be added to the wait-list via email at Admin@CreativeVeins.com, or feel free to register for the next session to guarantee your spot. Additionally, we still require masks when entering the building, inside the common areas, and anytime social distancing isn’t possible. We appreciate your understanding of these protocols to ensure our students, instructors, and staff’s well-being.
We strongly encourage perfect attendance. If a class must be missed, we’ll do our best to get the student caught up in time for the next class, so they’re not behind. Missed classes can be made up in any future session. Make-up dates never expire.
- If the session hasn’t started yet and you notify us of your inability to attend, we are happy to move you into a new session or reimburse you for the session
- If the session has already started and you notify us of your inability to complete it, we are happy to move you into a new session or reimburse you for the unattended classes
- If the session has already ended and you did not attend any of the classes or notify us before the session concluded, we are happy to move you into a new session (refunds are not provided to “no call/no shows”)
We are conveniently located in the heart of downtown Jacksonville just two blocks up from The Florida Theater (approx. a 20-minute drive from most parts of our city)! Our studio is 4,000 square feet with a lobby and movie room for rides, parents, and guests to hang out during class! We offer plenty of free parking right in front inside our private lots. Additionally, there’s also free parking at the street meters on weekends and after 6 p.m. on weekdays.
Check out our F.A.Q. page or contact us at Admin@CreativeVeins.com or by phone/text at 904-323-2471!