Are you the “funny friend”? Are you a fan of stand-up? Are you searching for an awesome class that’ll help you build confidence, pursue a passion, express your funny side, strengthen your public speaking skills, think on your feet, be challenged, make friends, and have fun? If so, we think you’ll love this fun, informative, and no experience necessary intro to stand-up comedy workshop!!!
Creative Veins is an award-winning, A+ rated performing arts studio that trains students of all ages and experience levels in acting, improv, stand-up, and screenwriting. All our classes are taught by professional, agency-represented performing artists who live in Jacksonville and work regionally (Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Nashville, and Knoxville) on paid bookings in film, theater, commercials, television, and live show productions. Additionally, many of our instructors are multi-disciplined, meaning that besides being highly trained and skilled in their craft, they have also trained in acting, music, singing, dance, stand-up, and more! Our sessions are offered in 4-week blocks and meet once a week for two hours. From the newbie to the hobbyist to the serious, aspiring professional, we see a wide range of students; all with very different goals. We’re eager to help each student accomplish these goals, whatever they may be!
About the Workshop:
From the newbie to the serious, aspiring professional, we see a wide range of students all with different goals. No matter the goal, we’re eager to help! Our 1-Day Intro to Stand-Up Comedy Workshop is designed for those with no formal experience or training who’d like to get started in the art of stand-up comedy! This workshop will be a combination of lecture, slides, videos, and in-class writing exercises so you leave the workshop better equipped to start your comedy journey!
What We’ll Cover:
Our 1-Day Stand-Up Comedy Workshop provides a fun, formal, and thorough introduction to the art of stand-up comedy. It is a condensed version of our 4-week session where we’ll cover everything from the biology of laughter, joke structure, how to write, edit, refine and craft our own original material, create a set list, perform for an audience, stage mechanics, and how to hold and capture attention! Our stand-up comedy workshop is intended for serious students who want to learn the necessary skills to be a funny, bookable, and exceptional stand-up comedian by writing and performing their own well-crafted jokes that get a minimum of 1/LPM.
A Few Things You’ll Learn:
- how to mine through all of your ideas for joke topics (premises)
- how to take your premises and structure them into jokes
- how to edit, refine, & punch up jokes so they’re hard-hitting and the best they can be
- how to order those jokes into a setlist for the stage
- how to perform those jokes on stage with in-class practice, feedback, and guidance from your instructors
- how to capture, keep, and command the room’s attention
How We’re Different:
If you want to be a great comedian, you must first have great material. That means you must learn how to write before you ever jump on a stage. In case you were wondering, we’re not like that other “comedy school” in town that doesn’t teach this crucial skill and, instead, throws you on stage to be critiqued by people who have never done the job of a comic. That is the epitome of wasteful and probably not how you want to spend your time. We do not believe in wasting time; yours OR ours. That kind of “trial and error” process taught is lengthy and costly. Instead, we’re focused on showing you how to do the job skillfully before you ever take the stage. We believe in teaching essential skills like writing, performing, and stage mechanics first. Hence, you have something valuable to offer an audience. “Value for value” is our motto, and we are passionate about teaching students how to do the actual job of a skilled stand-up comedian.
Our Workshop is Perfect for:
- those ready to learn how to create, write, edit, and refine their original material with the help of our comedy instructors
- adults & mature teens with no formal experience who are genuinely interested in learning the foundation for great stand-up comedy
- those who love comedy that want to build confidence, pursue a passion, express your funny side, strengthen communication skills, be challenged, make friends, and have fun
Our stand-up comedy classes and workshops are taught by professional, working comedians with over 20+ years of combined experience. Our philosophy is that the very best person to teach you how to do the job you want is with someone who already has that job!
In the past 5 years, our comedy graduates have:
- performed successfully for live audiences immediately upon graduating
- won comedy contests in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona, Orlando, & West Palm
- featured and headlined locally, regionally, and nationally
- competed in comedy festivals up and down the east coast
- won comedian of the year awards for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 from Folio, Void, and Jacksonville Magazine
- won best comedy roast awards at the Portland Comedy Festival
- featured for comedians such as Liz Winstead (Creator of The Daily Show), Eddie Brill (warm-up comic for The David Letterman Show for 17 years), Joyelle Johnson (The Tonight Show, Late Night with Seth Myers, HBO’s Crashing), Steven Lolli (Writer for Katt Williams, Writer for Eddie Pepitone, co-host of the popular podcast PepTalks), and John Poveromo (HBO, Fox, VH1)
- performed at award-winning comedy club Laugh Lounge
Requirements for Intro to Stand-Up:
- Access to email and the internet
- Registered by the class start date
- Laptop, tablet, or Notebook + Pen/Pencil
Class Size/Covid-19 Info:
Please note that our classes are always kept smaller in size for more individualized attention and to ensure each student’s success in the program. For now, because of Covid-19 and our need for distancing, our studio classes have a maximum number of 12 students. Because of this, we book up very quickly. Please understand that we cannot add any additional students once a class is full and marked as SOLD OUT. You can, however, request to be added to the wait-list via email at Admin@CreativeVeins.com, or feel free to register for the next session to guarantee your spot. Additionally, we still require masks when entering the building, inside the common areas, and anytime social distancing isn’t possible. We appreciate your understanding of these protocols to ensure our students, instructors, and staff’s well-being.
- If the session or workshop hasn’t started yet and you notify us of your inability to attend, we are happy to move you into a new session or workshop or reimburse you
- If the session has already started and you notify us of your inability to complete it, we are happy to move you into a new session or reimburse you for the unattended classes
- If the session or workshop has already ended and you did not attend any of the classes or notify us before the session concluded, we are happy to move you into a new session (refunds are not provided to “no call/no shows”)
We’re conveniently located in the heart of downtown Jacksonville just 2 blocks up from The Florida Theater! Our studio is over 4,000 square feet with a lobby + café/movie room for your ride or guests to hang out during class! In addition, we offer plenty of free parking in our private lot.
Check out our F.A.Q. page or contact us at Admin@CreativeVeins.com or by phone/text at 904-323-2471!